Siska Eka Syafitri, Tengku Silvana Sinar, Mulyadi Mulyadi, Masdiana Lubis


Online brochures are one of the preferred choices in describing the advertisement’s worth of many linguistic features. ‘Parenting’ strategies are one of the topics which are discussed in the online brochures. We can find the quotes and problem-solving about ‘parenting’ spread in cyberspace. Online parenting brochures are made by a personal or community to share that importance. The clause in parenting brochures discourse has a semantic meaning of its speech function. The language of the brochures was examined by using Halliday’s theory of Systemic Functional Linguistics (SFL), then it was found that the language in the brochures was formulated interpersonally. The meanings of the clause are developed in any interactive features in exchanging the giving and demanding move of speech function. This research was conducted qualitatively by analyzing 48 clauses in the brochures. It was found that the most commonly used linguistic clause in the brochures was the statement (71%) as a way of giving information to the readers. Then the rest was the command (29%) for the parents or the childminder to be applied in nurturing the children. Besides, multimodal strategies were also used to make the brochures more eye-catching. The semiotics modes used in the brochures were supported by the meaning making of the discourse. The readers were also invited to comprehend the urgent situation of the topic discussed. 


interpersonal meaning; multimodal; online parenting brochures; systemic functional linguistic

Full Text:



Alexander, J. J. & Iben, D. S. (2016). The danish way of parenting. Denmark: Tarcher Perigee.

Asfar, N. A., & Suriyanti, A. (2022). Text, images, and music in billie eilish’s bad guy music video on youtube.com. International Journal of Systemic Functional Linguistics, 5 (1). https://doi.org/10.55637/ijsfl.5.1.4970.1-8.

Creswell, J. W. (2014). Research design (4th Ed.). City Road: Sage Publication.

Halliday, M. A. K. & Christian M. I. M. Matthiessen. (2014). Halliday’s introduction to functional grammar. New York: Routledge.

Hoff, E. & Marilyn, S. (2007). Blackwell handbook of language development. New York: Blackwell Publishing.

Kasni, N. W., Asrofil, & Asfar, N. A. (2022). Texts and images in aquaman movie (a multimodal discourse analysis). LJSFL, Vol 5 (1), 23-33. https://doi.org/10.55637/ijsfl.5.1.4917.23-33.

Kress, G. & Leeuwen, T. v. (2010). Multimodal discourse. London: Bloomsbury.

Luca, I. S. (2020). A multimodal discourse analysis in media. RJES. DOI: 10.1515/RJES-2020-0009.

O’ Grady, W. (2005). How children learn language. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Santos, M. & Mukminin, A. (2022). The power of language: the persuasiveness used in selected philippines’ and thailand’s tourism brochures. Studies in English Language and Education, 9(3), 1201-1220. http://doi.org/10.24815/siele.v9i3.25312.

Soegotto, D. S. & Istiqomah, A. O. (2019). E-brochure as a communication strategy in entrepreneurship. IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering 662. DOI: 10.1088/1757-899X/662/3/032038.

Strayer, J.& Roberts, W. (2004). Children’s anger, emotional expressiveness, and empathy: Relations with Parents’ Empathy, Emotional Expressiveness, and Parenting Practices. New York: Blackwell Publishing.

Syafitri, S. E., Sinar, T. S., Mulyadi, & Lubis, M. (2022). Types of minor clauses in kindergarten english interactions. WJEL, 12(4). https://doi.org/10.5430/wjel.v12n4p34.

Yusuf, K. (2022). Language patterns in the linguistic lanscape of pesantren. Jurnal Al-Lughah, 11(1). http://dx.doi.org/10.29300/lughah.v11i1.6419.

DOI: https://doi.org/10.30743/ll.v7i2.7053


  • There are currently no refbacks.

Fakultas Sastra 
Universitas Islam Sumatera Utara (UISU), Medan
Jl. Sisingamangaraja Teladan Medan 20217
Telp. (061) 7869911, e-mail: language_literacy@sastra.uisu.ac.id